Monday, January 12, 2009

Everglades Bound...

Joe Long and Gary Gibson - Everglades 2005

It is approaching MLK Weekend - that can only mean that it is time for another Swamp Tromp through the Everglades! In Washington the crowds will be shivering through an inauguration. Me - I will be basking in the Florida sun paddling my kayak through the Everglades. Oh, I miss my kayak and Florida winters!

This year we are planning to leave from Chokoloskee and head toward either Pavillion Key or Rabbit Key for an island overnight. Then it's off to the Watson Place - Gary has dreamed of a return to the Watson Place for years - it's haunted you know. It also has monster mosquitos! I think we are planning the final night at Lopez River - one of our more frequent destinations. All our plans this year are for land camping rather than using the chickees. In 2005 there were 11 of us and we stayed one night on Sweetwater Chickee (see photo below). While Sweetwater was rated for 12 people - it was very cramped and I was afraid to roll over for fear of falling in! There was a gator under the chickee most of the night - with every swish of his tail, the bio luminance glowed - it was awesome.


This is the Sweetwater Chickee - taken as we were leaving. That's Ludo VanDenBogaert and I believe the other person is his son Brian. Again, from the 2005 adventure.


No comments: