Friday, June 26, 2009

Metro Rail - Aftermath Ride


Last Thursday I took my first Metro ride since the crash earlier in the week. As I drove to the station I was thinking that I should probably avoid the first and last cars on the train. Little did I know that everyone had the same idea - the middle cars were packed - standing room only, but you could get a good seat in the forward car! That evening there was a story on the local Washington news channel about folks avoiding the first and last cars on the Metro!

Saturday I am going back on Metro to Eastern Market to explore the opening of the new market building. I think I should get over my phobia about first and last cars and go for one where I can get a seat.

I've been riding metro since 1979 when I moved to this area the first time. I haven't lost my love of this means of getting around the city. Metro is truly a marvel and last Monday's accident was that - a horrible and tragic accident. With what we've learned in the aftermath, the woman driving that train is a true hero - It appears that she knew what was about to happen and did everything in her power to avoid it. It cost her everything.

No comments: