Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Still Crazy

Last Saturday, I attended a Paul Simon concert – it was the culmination of the AARP Expo in Washington. As an AARP event, I expected to encounter some older folks – well at least a few boomers anyway. What I didn’t expect was for the star performer to look like much of the audience. Actually Paul Simon was looking old… How can that be?


I went to a Moody Blues concert several years ago in Tampa. At that time I was amazed that the audience was so old – so much silver hair at a Moody Blues concert. We brought our Bic lighters to the concert that night and in the flickering lights I know that we believed that it was still 1968.

This time I was amazed at Paul Simon. In appearance he looks much older – but his stage presence and the performance was awesome. Who was this person pretending to be the great Paul Simon? He warmed up with a couple of numbers before he invited the audience to get out of their seats and feel the music – from then on – the ballroom of the DC convention center rocked with boomers dancin’ and moving to the likes of “Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes” and “Still Crazy after All these Years.”

Yep, thank God that we are still crazy after all these years! Ain’t life grand?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'm ever gonna attend another high school reunion -- too damn many old people!!

Anonymous said...

PS - Congratulations on your new blog!! I love it.

Mary Cummings said...

Amen!

Unknown said...

Mary,

I second the no high school reunions! When you have to Photoshop all pictures of you to look like you're still alive, it's time to stop attending events that remind you that you're on an incline. Headed down.

Dina