Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Volunteer Adventure

Back sometime last June, I saw an advertisement in the AARP publication for the DC area – they were looking for volunteers for their annual expo to the held in early September. I tore it out and put it on my “desk” (for those of you that have come for a visit – you know my desk, but that’s another story) fully intending to get around to responding, or not, in a few days. Several weeks, well maybe even a month or two, passed before I picked it up again – and by that time the deadline for applications had long past. That was actually quite comforting meaning that a decision had been made in my procrastination. But I went to the website listed anyway and was amazed to find the link for the volunteer page was still active, so I clicked and applied. Of course I believed that since my application was late that it would end up in some cyber circular file and that would be the end of my otherwise good intentions.

In early August I got a letter in the mail – first class postage – from AARP. Generally bulk mail goes in the trash without the benefit of another glace. I opened the letter, and to my surprise it read “Congratulations, you have been selected…” I was going to be one of many local area volunteers at the AARP Annual Expo (whatever that was)!

Now to digress, I have been a card carrying member of AARP for a number of years. I joined mostly for the discounts at hotels, and for eyeglasses. You must know that I do not, in my own mind, believe that I am truly eligible for active participation in this organization as I am still working full time and I do not think or act like a retired person. But, I must admit, I do meet the only posted eligibility requirement – I am over 50 years of age.

Volunteer training was held at the Washington Convention Center about a week in advance of the big event. There were lots of volunteers – in my session, the third of three, I would estimate that there about 200+ people. It was evening and the provided beverages and refreshments before launching into a variety of lively speakers on everything from the history of AARP – to member relations – to special programs and events – and of course the roles and responsibilities of the volunteers. I left excited about both being able to attend the event and about my role as a volunteer.

One of the special roles of the volunteers was to dispense the “Panda Pins.” I didn’t really know much about how important these pins are … but when I arrived at the conference, everybody had pins and most were seeking the coveted “Panda Pin.” Each volunteer was given 8 or 10 pins to give out, mostly people asked for them but you could offer them too. My initial stash was gone in no time – I think attendees stalked the volunteer room in hopes of snagging a coveted panda.

I was a session room monitor – the session I had on Saturday was about self publishing. It was a lively group and aside from assisting with the mike during the Q&A, I actually learned a lot about trying to get published and the growing field in self publishing. This session was across the hall from a session on sex, there was a much larger and more passionate group over there.

Volunteering gave me access to the entire event. One of the highlights, for me anyway, was a session with Maya Angelou and Quincy Jones. It was held on Saturday morning – and started about the same time as the wind and rain from Hurricane Hanna hit the DC area. I took an early subway trip in and was in the staging area about 30minutes before the door opened. Fate and good fortune intervened and I found myself in the front row for a wonderful and lively discussion. By way of digression, I want to say that there are people that you can just feel their presence – I found this when I went to a lecture by Desmond Tutu several years ago – I can’t remember what he said but I vividly recall the feeling of being in the presence of that man. I felt that again with Maya Angelou – and I don’t think it had much to do with the front row seats. It was a wonderful exchange between the two old and dear friends – a format that I understand she uses often.

Another highlight was Paul Simon. That is the subject of yet another blog…

Overall, I found the volunteer experience wonderful and fulfilling. Moreover, however, I came away with a new perspective on AARP and growing old in America. AARP is a great organization; their staff is wonderful, knowledgeable, and very caring. I met many wonderful people there both volunteers and attendees – some like me that are not retired, some looking frail with their wheelchairs and walkers, but most I found to be lively and young at heart. The program was great, the concerts fabulous, the exhibit hall had vendors with everything you needed to get old, and the experience was a lot of fun.

Next year the gathering is in Vegas – and I am thinking that maybe I should find my way out there. Of course, this would only be an excuse to for inexpensive airfare, a discount hotel room rate, and an excuse to escape for a hike in the Grand Canyon – after all, in my mind I am way too young for AARP!

No comments: